Sunday, September 27, 2009

1,2,3's of Colour Matching Part 1.

Before I decided to venture out of my usual style comfort zone, the concept of colour was somewhat of a foreign concept. My outfits usually consisted of the basic black and my idea of adding color was wearing a colored tank underneath my black. I thought, I just couldn't figure it out, but I now realize it was just sheer fear. It’s the fear of making incorrect choices and end up looking all wrong. I really like to watch HGTV on a regular basis. Home style is still just style. There is a show called Color Splash where the host helps homeowners choose the colors in their room based on the options on the color wheel. BINGO



I then realized that the color combinations were already made for me by Sir Isaac Newton way back in the eighteenth century. The color wheel basically arranges the colors based on their chromatic relationship. It’s headlined by the primary colours red, blue and yellow. It then spears off into the secondary colors which are achieved by mixing two primary colors (ex. green, orange, and purple). This is further broken down into tertiary, complementary and analogous colors which we will discuss in Parts 2 and 3.


This is my lame attempt at illustrating how you can mix your colors just by varying the lightness of the primary and secondary colors.
For example, in the middle is a basic red. By adding white to the red it creates a complimentary color to the original red tone, as shown to the right of the red. By decreasing the white, it also creates another complimentary color or shade of the original as shown to the left of the red. Easy right? You don't have to include three or more of these in your ensemble; even two of them should still work to brighten up your outfit.Of course there are several different options in between, but this should point you in the general direction.


0 comments:

Post a Comment